Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Welcome Earthside!

Surprise times 4!!!! Week 26 (Tuesday, December 10) started off uneventful and I had settled into my six-sided room in the hospital nicely. Although the medications at times seemed harsh they were doing a good job. Until Saturday. I was returning to bed from the restroom when all of the sudden I felt a gush of fluid. The nurse was with me and a quick test confirmed it was amniotic fluid and that one of the babies water had broken. The staff were quite certain it was Baby A (the boy closest to the cervix) because of the pressure resting on him from three other babies. This event graduated me to complete bed rest, use of a bedpan and all. I was encouraged because there are many people who shared how they had PPROM (premature rupture of membranes) and had lasted several more weeks. The problem I faced was that this event started to trigger contractions, despite an increase in magnesium sulfate and a dose of terbutaline. By that evening I was having regular contractions and the doctor advised Ben to try and get down here from Washington, sooner rather than later. Amazingly we were able to snag a frequent flier ticket that left Walla Walla within 12 hours and landed him Phoenix by 2 p.m. Sunday (a miracle in my opinion seeing as we get two flights out of Walla Walla a day and it tis the season to travel). By the time Ben arrived the contractions has subsided somewhat and he left with his parents to get some rest around 9 p.m.

A little after midnight I had one long, painful contraction and when the nurse checked me she discovered I had dilated to 9.5cm. In an instant the on call OR team, doctor, and Ben had been called and by the time they arrived I was all prepped and waiting in the operating room. On December 16 at 12:50 a.m, our first Miracle arrived.

 NOTE:   If you click on each line below it should connect you to a YouTube video of when that particular baby arrived.

Here are the stats:
0050: Dawson Baby Girl B, weighing 1 lb 14 oz and 13 inches long
0052: Dawson Baby Boy A, weighing 1 lb 14 oz and 14 inches long
0052: Dawson Baby Girl C, weighing 1 lb 6 oz and 11 3/4 inches long
0054: Dawson Baby Boy D, weighing 1 lb 12 1/4 oz and 13 1/4 inches long

So far everyone is doing as well as can be, especially these little ones who made it to Week 26 and 5 days. There are two major concerns they face: lung development and possible brain bleeds. To the babies advantage I had been given a steroid shot which helps with both. So far they have done very well with breathing and taking in oxygen. In two days, December 20, they will get a brain scan to see if they have been able to evade any bleeds. In the meantime, here are some pictures of our little angels.

PS: We're still working on names so for now they are still A, B, C & D.

First and second pictures: The boys and the girls are all getting getting photo-therapy for jaundice.
Third and fourth pictures: Baby A's feet compared to Ben's thumb and size comparison to my hand. He is our largest baby.
Fifth picture: AZ friends gather for a party with Ben and mamma on the day the babies were born.













10 comments:

  1. Watched the birth video while eating breakfast. What a great way to start our day! Thank you for all the good info and pictures. We pray continually for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone could watch them while they eat! I love it. Thanks for the prayers. Hope to see you soon.

      Delete
  2. This has me in tears, Celina. They are so tiny!! Praise God you kept them in as long as you did! Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwhhh! Warms my heart to hear from you Laura!

      Delete
  3. Just amazing! Tears rolling down my cheeks. I can't believe how small they are. Praying all the scans and tests keep going well you are amazing. Prayers to you all! Thank you for sharing your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the prayers that already have said for us! So glad you can be a part of this.

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy for you.Wow.... They are so tiny! We're praying for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your prayers mean so much! Thank you thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww.... This made my day Celina! Thanks for sharing :) Babies (and parents) are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! that's great! I can't even imagine how you must be feeling.

    ReplyDelete